Here we go.

18 May 2008

Emperor Tomato Ketchup

& Dots & Loops. Stereolab. Perfect for this Sunday.

1. We went to the Grand Opening of the Junction Bridge yesterday -- it was fine. I mean, it's a lovely addition to the cities, but I guess I was really put off by all of the cyclists. I stand behind their cause and, you know, GOOD FOR THEM, but is it necessary to ride out there on opening day? They were in the way! There wasn't enough room to accommodate them and the pedal-people.  Maybe if a few showed to rep the group?  It seems that cyclists are the new road/sidewalk bullies. Argh. Redeeming quality about the opening? I really liked watching the drummers from Park View High. I should've brought water and wore a hat because I think being there in the raw sun contributed to my heat exhaustion.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2. From the Junction Bridge, we went to Levy to hit up the butcher for steaks and to get lunch @ Las Delicias, my reigning favorite Mexican restaurant. This place is a true hole-in-the-wall. The food is perfect. Are we new regulars? Yes. We've become more comfortable there, getting our own drinks, looking at the groceries while we wait for our food. I was bummed that they didn't have churros that day, maybe next time.

3. After lunch, ATM worked on the Volvo and I washed the other car. We both washed the Volvo. By the time we were finished, I felt AWFUL. A little bit of heat exhaustion, I had to sleep away most of the Saturday afternoon. When I finally got out of bed, ATM had started a beautiful steak dinner. It helped me get on the path to recovery, for sure. We had perfectly grilled rib eyes! And corn! And portabella mushrooms! And ATM's world famous mashed pots! It's no secret, we live wonderfully and it's appreciated.

4. Today @ noon, we went to the annual Greek Food Fest. This year, we had calamari, falafel, & loukanika. As usual, the food was really delicious. We didn't stay long, eating being the primary objective. Too, I didn't want to overdo being out-of-doors, contributing to my existing ailments. I bought two packages of baklava to take home, half of which is already gone. Maybe I'll share w/ ATM, we'll see.

5. On the way home, we stopped by JTDesigns whose slogan is "Yesterday's styles...Today's interiors." I really enjoyed it, it's like you've stumbled across a super-duper garage sale. They've got fabrics, old dish sets, cute coffee cups, vintage tables & chairs. I ended up buying a cake holder, which was great because I was going to bake a cake anyway. JTDesigns is where ye olde speedometer shop used to be on 2223 W. Markham. I recommend using your lunch break to go peruse the goods!

Photobucket

6. So, I tried baking a cake yesterday. FAIL. Maybe it was me, but I'd like to think that I had a dud box of cake mix. I tossed the failed cake and thought that maybe I could make one from scratch? I referenced the Joy of Cooking -- I didn't have cake flour, so it was a bust. No cake. I'll try again later this week.


Ready for trip to Seattle! Can I call it a vacation?



No comments:

Blog Archive